Banana Power Pancakes
These pancakes pack a punch! They’re filled with great ingredients and will fuel or refuel you before or after a workout. They are also made with minimal ingredients – ingredients that you probably already have in your pantry or fridge.
Oats: Oats are highly nutritious. They contain good carbohydrates and are filled with fiber and protein. They are rich in antioxidants and they help reduce blood sugar levels.
Banana: Bananas are filled with potassium, calcium and iron. They contain a good amount of fiber and can help ease digestion. The natural sugars in bananas make them a great snack before a workout.
Flaxseed: Flaxseed contains good fats such as omega-3 fatty acids, which are heart healthy. It contains fiber, protein and helps improve digestion.
Egg Whites: More than half the protein of an egg is found in the egg white. By adding egg whites to your meals, you’re adding protein, vitamin D, B6, B12 and minerals such as zinc, iron and copper.
Hemp Hearts: Hemp Hearts are full of two essential fatty acids, omega-3 and omega-6. 3 Tablespoons of hemp hearts contains 10g of protein and 3g of fiber!
Recipe: (serves 2)
* 1 banana
* 1 cup oats
* 1 teaspoon baking powder
* 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
* ½ cup unsweetened almond milk
* 3 egg whites
1. In a blender, add ¾ of your banana (leaving the rest to top your pancakes with banana slices), oats, vanilla, almond milk, and baking powder.
2. Blend until smooth and transfer to a bowl.
3. Using a stand mixer with a whisk attachment, or a hand-held mixer, beat egg whites until you form stiff peaks.
4. Gently fold egg whites into your batter.
5. In a large skillet on medium heat, cook your pancakes until browned on both sides.
6. Serve with sliced banana, hemp hearts and a drizzle of pure maple syrup.